2014/04/16

Haunted Malahide




Well, supposedly haunted only by squirrels, rabbits and headless ghosts. 


For those who do not enjoy ghost-hunting, there are less spooky tourism adds (no, the castle does not swim in reality):


Ehm, let me start properly. Malahide is, sort of, part of Dublin, yet it looks nothing like it - it is a small, poetic village on the sea side, with a haunted castle, romantic gardens, stark shore and cute houses. 


The castle is rather small: 


Juuust kidding. Still, it's small.


  
Frankly, there's something innately disturbing, haunting and eerie about Ireland in general. It's crude, wild, dark and gothic. If I was still a teenager, I would have been beyond myself with happiness. However, right now, I'm just confused. I know that if I was my old self, I would be enjoying the atmosphere very much, but my current self is just scared most of the time. The moment I have to leave the busy road for smaller streets to get home, I almost run, and I'm not very sure if I'm running away from imaginary murderers or ghosts. Everything here is creepy. All of the older houses have large, wild front yards and very little illumination. Wherever you go, it looks like you're passing one haunted house after another. There are no people. Once I was walking in a street in Terenure, checking the dark gardens for potential rapists, when I saw a woman standing perfectly still in front of her door. The moment she met my gaze, I shivered. I bet she was waiting for her husband, probably annoyed that he's taking long. To me, though, she looked like a maleficent ghost. 

Malahide looks very serene and beautiful, most of the time.







(Actually, we were supposed to meet Yi's friend who knew "of a secret garden in Malahide". In reality, it was a secret way to enter the Castle gardens. This is his dog.) 













But it has a wild, uneasy side to it. If you walk this slippery path, ending in the sea, you feel as if the seaweeds are going to grow around your ankles and pull you underwater. 

  

Lovely beach, isn't it? If you give in to the temptation to swim around there, you may never climb back again, as the current is very strong. 


Even if there's sun, the dark clouds are never too far away... 


Yours truly
Vita

15 comments:

  1. Hello Vita! I loved the photos and it is really that scary? Oh boy I wouldn't last a day there then! The button Easter egg is so so so cute ^^ and the gardens seem very relaxing, I wish I could just take my book and go there to stay an afternoon in the sun.
    Happy Easter (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well maybe it's just me =D But I find it quite scary :/ Happy Easter to you too!

      Delete
  2. Nádhera. :) A ten dřevěný most na fotce co vypadá jako z japonské zahrady.. :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taky mi přišel že se do Irska zatoulal jen náhodou =D

      Delete
  3. I love ghost places! hehe the castle looks beautiful! :)

    Metallic Paws

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I wouldn't have guessed that it was so scary in Ireland! :D I have always wanted to visit it and see the beautiful nature as well as old castles! But since I am very easily scared, I should give that a second thought!
    Though besides that, the place looks really beautiful- especially the bridge over the river/pond (?)

    www.callmemaddie.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, you should totally go, everybody is super friendly. I think you notice tha scariness only if you live ehre for some time, since if you stay in the centre, it's usually quite lively.

      Delete
  5. oh wow... such a beautiful and amazing place, i wanted to visit a place like that!

    It’s a GIRL Thing

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautifull!
    Have a great week end!

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing pictures! the place looks awesome though <3

    Letters To Juliet

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great pics, dear Vita.
    Glad to see the romantic couple.
    Love and sunshine
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nádhera! Mně Irsko nepřišlo strašidelné, moc se mi líbilo, i když jsem z něj zase tolik neviděla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Možná je to jen mnou. =D Jinak se mi v Irsku taky líbí, jenom ne po deváté večer. =D

      Delete